Fruits & Veggies - Every Day the Tasty Way!
Eat at least 5 servings (and up to 9) of fruits and veggies each day.
Help kids learn "More Matters"!
An Appealing, Tasty Apple!
||Fruits: Nature's Fast Food Snack
||Adapted from Healthy Kids Challenge, Balance My Day™ nutrition curriculum (Grades K-2)
Kids start learning about what it takes for fruits & veggies to grow and the process from farm to table.
- Explain fresh fruits are natures' fast food snack. It is easy to take them and go.
- Ask kids to tell you about some of their favorite fruit snacks.
- Explain that like other plants, fruits need air, water, sun and nutrients from the soil to grow. Ask if anyone has had a garden and what is the first thing they start with (Answer: Seeds). After the seeds are planted what happens before they can grow ( Answer: It needs to rain or we water them). Before picking them, we wait for fruits and veggies to grow until they are ripe and will taste best.
- Farmers grow fruits and veggies and deliver them to stores, farmers markets and our school! Ask if anyone has been to a farmers market. If so, ask them to describe what they saw.
- Distribute the worksheets and crayons. After completing the worksheet, ask kids if they can choose more fruits and veggies for snacks.
This activity and others are found in the School Nutrition Services section of Balance My Day™ nutrition curriculum (Grades K-2). For more activity ideas like the one above, check out HKC resource materials. See the Online Store for descriptors and to view the Table of Content and booklet sample page.