Healthy Kids Challenge® (HKC) principles align with NEW Dietary Guidelines. HKC school and community events challenge kids and families to move more, and discover how to make healthy choices EASY. Try our AWESOME interactive events for health fairs and parent nights.
For Educators and Youth Leaders
How to Use Ready, Set, Cook & Eat™ as a School FUNdraiser
Use Ready, Set, Cook & Eat™ (RSCE) as an energizing fundraiser event for kids and families. Have kids in each classroom write simple healthy snack recipes. Take pictures of the kids with their recipes, and then compile them all for a cookbook. Have the classes vote on the three best recipes. Those will be featured at the RSCE event, where the three winners will be preparing their recipe in a competition. Have a volunteer be the event emcee to get family members involved while watching their kids show off their healthy snack-building skills! Kids can sell tickets to the event, or they can have the audience vote for their favorite recipe by putting money into jars. Print off the pictures of the kids to also sell to the parents and grandparents who attend the event. It is also possible to sell the cookbooks as a fundraiser, too. Many possibilities from one fun event!
Get Ideas from the Nutrition Education Toolbox Challenge
How to Use Explore MyPlate to Promote Smart Snacks in School
Give ideas to kids and parents for tasty snacks in school and anywhere using the format of the Explore MyPlate event. For example, turn the colored sections into snack groups, and give tastes of snack ingredients. Combine fruits and vegetables into one snack group, and offer ideas such as pumpkin seeds, edamame, raisins, and freeze-dried apples. Offer snack group ideas for grains, proteins, and low-fat dairy. Hand out tip sheets containing ideas for classroom parties and school celebrations. For more ideas, order the Explore MyPlate with School Nutrition Guidebook.
How to Connect with Parents
Encourage Parents with Hear, See, Do Tips
- Learn more on our blog, starting with How to Get Parents On Board with Healthy Changes.
- Test out our free printable Parent Tips, and then purchase your own set to use as health fair handouts or in any way that fits your needs.
- Cut and paste our WOWS E-Newsletter Parent Tips into your own newsletters.
Lessen sugared sodas. For every sugared soda you drink each day, substitute a bottle or glass of water instead. An amazing savings in calories and sugar!
"We have enjoyed this program so much because it enabled us to focus on how we can help our parents help their children become healthier and better informed about the roles of good nutrition and exercise. The smiles on the faces of those we serve say it all." - Library Director, Sabetha, KS
- Fruits & Veggies - Every Day the Tasty Way "Fruits & Veggies, 'Cool' Foods"
- Drink Think "Water - The First Choice!"
- Snack Attack "Snack Attack Q & A"
- Smart Servings "Find Healthy Balance"
- Breakfast GO Power "Help Kids Fix Their Own Breakfast"
- Active Play, Balance My Day "Family FUN Means Motion"
- - See more at: https://www.healthykidschallenge.com/healthy6-printables#sthash.L6vAgDWR.dpuf
- Fruits & Veggies - Every Day the Tasty Way "Picky Eaters Can Pick Healthy Foods"
- Drink Think "Choose POWER BEVERAGES"
- Snack Attack "Grab and Go Snack Ideas"
- Smart Servings "Smart Servings on MyPlate"
- Breakfast GO Power "Quick & Easy Breakfast Ideas"
- Active Play, Balance My Day "Brain Breaks"
- - See more at: https://www.healthykidschallenge.com/healthy6-printables#sthash.uiQ9rJY3.dpuf