HKC school and community events challenge kids and families to move more, and discover how to make healthy choices EASY. Try our AWESOME interactive events for health fairs and parent nights.
For Educators and Youth Leaders
How to Use Explore MyPlate with Limited Space
While excitement abounds about offering a real-life walking tour through MyPlate, space limitations might pose a barrier. Instead of setting up 7 - 8 ft. tables to showcase the interactive stations, why not try:
utilizing floor space for a MyPlate circle shape, with the colors and 5 food groups corresponding to their sections on MyPlate. And off to one side, two smaller areas for the Explore More and the Physical Activity stations.
stationing 7 smaller tables along one wall of a hallway or long room, but utilizing the length of the space to spread them as far apart as possible. This would allow additional physical activity, and better flow for participants.
placing classroom desks in a large square or rectangle, and designate every 4 desks as a food group/station. Kids could lead the healthy messages from inside the square, and the trail mix could be built away from it, such as by the door as people leave to go to the next activity.
How to Use Explore MyPlate to Promote Smart Snacks in School
Give ideas to kids and parents for tasty snacks in school and anywhere using the format of the Explore MyPlate event. For example, turn the colored sections into snack groups, and give tastes of snack ingredients. Combine fruits and vegetables into one snack group, and offer ideas such as pumpkin seeds, edamame, raisins, and freeze-dried apples. Offer snack group ideas for grains, proteins, and low-fat dairy. Hand out tip sheets containing ideas for classroom parties and school celebrations. For more ideas, order the Explore MyPlate event guide.
Get Ideas from the Nutrition Education Toolbox Challenge
How to Connect with Parents
Encourage Parents with Hear, See, Do Tips
- Learn more on our blog, starting with How to Get Parents On Board with Healthy Changes.
- Test out our free printable Parent Tips, and then purchase your own set to use as health fair handouts or in any way that fits your needs.
- Cut and paste our WOWS newsletter Parent Tips into your own newsletters.
Lessen sugared sodas. For every sugared soda you drink each day, substitute a bottle or glass of water instead. An amazing savings in calories and sugar!
"We have enjoyed this program so much because it enabled us to focus on how we can help our parents help their children become healthier and better informed about the roles of good nutrition and exercise. The smiles on the faces of those we serve say it all."-Library Director, Sabetha, KS
Parents, How Can YOU Take the Healthy Kids Challenge?
Pick one of the following healthy habits and challenge your family to take the Healthy Kids Challenge:
- Fruits & Veggies - Every Day the Tasty Way "Picky Eaters Can Pick Healthy Foods"
- Drink Think "Choose POWER BEVERAGES"
- Snack Attack "Grab and Go Snack Ideas"
- Smart Servings "Smart Servings on MyPlate"
- Breakfast GO Power "Quick & Easy Breakfast Ideas"
- Active Play, Balance My Day "Brain Breaks"
- - See more at: https://www.healthykidschallenge.com/healthy6-printables#sthash.uiQ9rJY3.dpuf