Plant the seeds for health using HKC events and parent connections. Try our AWESOME interactive events for health fairs and parent nights.
For Educators and Youth Leaders
Fruit & Veggie Field Trip Print This
Take kids on a field trip to a farmers market or grocery store and learn about produce. *Grades 4-6
- whiteboard and markers
- fresh fruits & veggies purchased from the farmers market or grocery store
- sink to wash produce
- knives for cutting produce, serving tray
- paper plates, enough for each child
- Before leaving for the farmers market or grocery store, write some points on the whiteboard for kids to pay attention to while on the field trip:
- use your senses to experience fruits & veggies - smell, sight, sound, touch and taste (when taste-testing later)
- notice the parts of plants we eat - roots, stems, flowers, fruit, seeds and leaves
- students are to behave, pay attention to the teacher and only touch the fruits/veggies that are handed to them in the group
- As you lead the kids down the produce aisles:
- point out the different colors.
- show examples of edible stems, roots, flowers, fruit, seeds and leaves.
- pass around a few produce examples to let kids feel the texture and smell the aroma.
- Pick up a melon and thump with your finger to share the sound a riper melon makes (dull, solid) vs. an unripe melon (hollow or metallic sound).
- Ask kids to count the number of fruits represented at the market, then the number of veggies.
- Make your own choices or ask kids to vote on which 3 fruit and 3 veggies they want to taste test back at school. Purchase enough for all to get a small bite of each fruit/veggie.
- When back at school, wash produce thoroughly, cut into tasting pieces and serve on paper plates for kids to sample.
How to Connect with Parents
Encourage Parents with Hear, See, Do Tips
Cut and paste our WOWS newsletter Parent Tips into your own newsletters.
Learn more on our blog, starting with How to Get Parents On Board with Healthy Changes.
"We have enjoyed this program so much because it enabled us to focus on how we can help our parents help their children become healthier and better informed about the roles of good nutrition and exercise. The smiles on the faces of those we serve say it all."-Library Director, Sabetha, KS
How Can YOU Take the Healthy Kids Challenge?
Make Healthy Choices Easy
Challenge yourself and your kids to “Plant a Seed" during this National Gardening Month.
Try these personal and family challenges this month:
Fruits & Veggies - Plant a Seed...for Bountiful Fruits & Veggies
Drink Think - Plant a Seed...Water Nurtures Plants and People
Active Play - Plant a Seed...Include Active Play in the Day